There was a little girl who had a little curl...

Monday, October 23, 2006

Is there aluminum in your deodorant?

Seriously, go look. All of the major brands have it. And maybe I'm the last one to hear about this, but yikes! I don't think I want to go spreading aluminum all over my body. There's been no conclusive evidence that it causes breast cancer or even Alzheimer's, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I also had no idea that detergent manufacturers used petroleum (aka oil) to make laundry detergent until I read it on the back of a Seventh Generation detergent bottle. Here I am, worried about how much I drive my car and how much our heating bills were last year, when all the while the culprit was hiding in my basement! And the infinite amount of plastic packaging that we can't seem to live without. I know I'm guilty of water bottle waste; it's an amazingly hard habit to break.

And most automatic dishwashing detergents have phosphates in them. While they were taken out of laudry detergents back in the 70s, they live on in dishwashers. These are the chemicals which were tied to alage blooms and dead lakes. Lovely.

It's amazing what kind of things are in the products we use every day and take for granted. I go back and forth on buying organic/natural products... I believe in it, but the price difference can be overwhelming. But maybe I need to get a little more angry and a little more scared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home